Storage Efficiency  

I need to know what exactly the round-trip efficiency is of SaltX thermal energy storage, i.e. kW in to kW out - i.t.o. of real electricity?  Eg., batteries are typically 80-90%, CAES may be up to 70% and hydrogen probably 45%.

Hi @veschwkg ! Welcome to the forum! SaltX Thermal energy storage delivers at least 90% roundtrip efficiency in thermal to thermal applications. We have not made large installations to test thermal to electricity round trip ratio but knowing that the best steam turbines deliver about 40% efficiency. In that case it would be about 36%.

The best application would be at CHP plant in that case. The energy that is not used by the turbine, could provide a very good source of district heating.

Thank you Liudas, for the reply.  In the mean time I came to similar conclusions.  The problem comes when the concentrated solar plant is in a remote desert, then the heat may not be put to proper use.  At such a low overall efficiency (36%) it is amazing to find this storage technology being used at all, or does the relative low CAPEX and OPEX justify its use?

Hi @veschwkg ! I understand your criticism but I don't know how you can generate electricity from heat more efficiently. SaltX energy storage technology is used in heat storage and thermal heat pump applications mostly - we have never made installations for electricity generation.

Not actually critisism, Liudas  (-:   Yes, it makes perfect sense when putting the heat to work again - directly, but not for electricity.

Share: